By Subcontractors USA News Provider
AIA Houston is the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects. AIA Houston is a community of architects coming together to accomplish things in their practices and in our communities that no single architect can do alone. AIA has recently come together for Made/UnMade Houston: Technology, Fabrication, and Design.
Made/Unmade Houston: Technology, Fabrication, and Design is an exhibition and series of public programs connecting and promoting Houston designers, craftsmen, and their work. The project includes furniture, objects and installations designed and fabricated in Houston, with an emphasis on materials, process and craftsmanship. Narratives exploring the concepts as well as history, place and personalities behind the work are explored in graphic displays, videos, lectures, panel discussions, tours and studio visits.
Featured designers include: 1.618DesignWorks, Logan Beck, Alan Bruton Studio, Cobalt Office, Andrew Colopy, David Costanza, DMD Studios, Eklektic Jewelry Studio, I/O Studio, Jason Logan, Shawn Lutz, māk studio, Metalab, Noëlle Mulder, RE:site, and Root Lab.
This exhibit is curated by Eric Arnold, Assoc. AIA, and Michael Gonzales. Video production is by Kathryn Way. Jeffrey Liao and Mat Wolff are members of the exhibitions staff.
This exhibit and related programs are sponsored in part by the Architecture Center Houston Foundation, a grant from the City of Houston through Houston Arts Alliance, a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, and the University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design.
AIA Houston gives special thanks to Fernando Brave, FAIA; Brochsteins; Eklektic Jewelry Studio; Jeff Feng; Meg Jackson; the Keeland Design Center; Yonis Kintero; Bob Martin; Roman Mendez, Joe Meppelink; Post Studio; Rice School of Architecture; TXRX Labs; the University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design; and Westlake Chemical Company.
Exhibit Event Calendar:
- June 15 Opening Reception @ 315 Capitol St Gallery
- June 16 & 17 Jewelry Making Workshop & Eklektic Jewelry Studio Tour
- July 15 3D Printing Workshop @ TX/RX Labs
- July 29 Laser Cutting Workshop @ Post Studio
- August tbd Opening Reception @ 902 Commerce St Gallery
- August 26 East End Studio Crawl
- September 9 Made/UnMade Exhibit Day at 902 Commerce St Gallery
- September 11 Donna Kacmar presents Made in Texas
- September 20 Made/UnMade Keynote Lecture: Dror
- September 28 Made/UnMade Houston: Generations Panel & Closing Party
- September 30 Exhibit Closes
For more information about Made/UnMade Houston: Technology, Fabrication, and Design, please visit www.aiahouston.org.