Container Activity Slowing at Port Houston First-Quarter Volume Still Up

iStock 1191926149 scaled

Container activity at Port Houston, the largest container port on the United States Gulf Coast, began slowing in late March as expected as the coronavirus outbreak continued to threaten countries across the globe, including the U.S.

Port Houston handled a total of 248,280 twenty-foot-equivalent units (TEUs) in March, a drop of 11 percent compared to March of 2019, when 280,721 TEUs were recorded. For the full year, Port Houston handled 773,087 TEUs through March, compared to 694,167 TEUs for the same period last year. That is an increase of 11 percent for the first quarter.

The latest data from PIERS shows that while the U.S. container trade overall has contracted by more than 5 percent year-to-date, Port Houston has expanded by a similar amount. Nevertheless, in March Port Houston saw a total of seven blank sailings.

Port Houston’s Bayport and Barbours Cut container terminals are important to the local, state and national economies as well as the supply chain, Executive Director Roger Guenther noted. Cargo moving across our docks reaches some 100 million residents as well as exporters and manufacturers throughout America’s heartland.

“We must remain open for business to help international commerce continue during this difficult period,” Guenther said. “We also must support the economy with the necessary infrastructure to rebound when this global pandemic is brought under control.”

Port Houston thanks the men and women working on all the private and public docks, driving trucks in and out of the port, and our other maritime transportation workers, who all support the port’s daily functions. Port Houston also thanks all other essential workers.

Source: Port Houston

Similar Posts

  • TxDOT Terminates IBM From Toll Operations Contract for System Issues

    By Subcontractors USA News Provider Citing continued challenges with an upgraded toll operations system delivered by IBM nearly a year ago, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) announced recently that it has terminated its remaining contract with the company. Since the system’s roll-out, TxTag customers and toll road users have experienced unnecessary challenges in managing…

  • CITY OF AUSTIN NEWS: 2016 MOBILITY BOND FUNDS INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS CITYWIDE

    The 2016 Mobility Bond provided $15 million in funding toward safety improvements at high-crash locations throughout Austin as part of ATD’s Transportation Safety Improvement Program. Construction of improvements at the first three intersections is anticipated to begin in the next few months. First up, a new traffic signal will be constructed at the intersection of Slaughter Lane…

  • PORT HOUSTON CHAIRMAN DELIVERS STATE OF THE PORT

    The Port Remains Strong, Looks Ahead to Future, Diversity and Inclusion Priorities Port Houston News Port Houston Chairman Ric Campo delivered the State of the Port to the Greater Houston Partnership earlier this month. In his address, he said the entire port complex continues to be a strong force for the Houston region, the state,…

  • Port Houston Executive Roger Guenther Named to The International Maritime Hall of Fame

    By Subcontractors USA News Provider  Port Houston Executive Director Roger Guenther has been named to the International Maritime Hall of Fame, as announced Monday by the Maritime Association of the Port of New York and New Jersey (MAPONY/NJ). Guenther will be among six global shipping leaders who “all have shown unwavering leadership and dedication to…

  • Sanjay Ramabhadran Takes the Helm as New Chair of METRO Board of Directors

    By Subcontractors USA News Provider  Another historic leadership transition has come to the METRO Board. Recently, METRO’s Board of Directors unanimously approved Mayor Sylvester Turner’s board chair nomination and welcomed Sanjay Ramabhadran (pronounced Rahm-bud-run) to lead the agency’s nine-member Board. Ramabhadran has been on the board since May 2015. Still, his appointment is notable as…