METRO Not Proceeding with Federal Grant Application for University Corridor Project 

metro

HOUSTON — Based on a financial review, METRO will not proceed with the federal grant application for the University Corridor Project at this time.

According to METRO’s Board of Directors, the Federal Transit Administration has communicated with METRO’s executive staff the agency will not be precluded from applying for funding at a later date, should the project prove to have future financial viability. Additionally, it will not impact other funding opportunities.

Financial estimates for the project in 2019 were aspirational, but the COVID-19 pandemic significantly reduced ridership and increased costs — variables that were not calculated at the time the project was proposed, METRO explained.

The project, as planned, would reportedly put the agency in a position that would financially impact METRO’s day-to-day operations and “severely limit the ability to implement essential services such as increased public safety, bus frequency, bus and train cleanliness, improved bus shelters, and enhanced sidewalks and roadways since the federal grant does not cover the estimated $1.5 billion liability,” a news release said.

“Our priority is a public transit system that is safe, clean, reliable and accessible,” stated METRO Chair Elizabeth González Brock. “METRO’s decision to not proceed with the federal grant process at this time is based upon the need to prioritize improved customer and community essential services and will better position the Authority to increase overall system ridership.”

METRO says it plans to move forward with proof of concept and more viable infrastructure projects that are part of overall growth and development plans for the entire community, such as the Gulfton Transit and Revitalization Project.

“We will continue to engage with METRO customers, community leaders and key stakeholders as we review the viability of future projects and initiatives,” stated Brock.

Source: METRO

Similar Posts

  • Subcontractors: Three Industry Trends and Impacts on Obtaining Permits in 2019

    On December 3, 2018, I attended the first annual Asian | Turkish | Indo-American Chambers of Commerce Real Estate and Construction Summit in Houston, Texas.  There were three industry panels that provided a treasure trove of industry insights and data along with two powerful keynote speakers including State of Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Glenn…

  • Entergy Creates COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund to Help Customers in Need

    In an effort to help working families experiencing financial hardships as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, the Entergy Charitable Foundation has established the COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund. “The health and safety of our customers, employees and communities is Entergy’s top priority,” said Leo Denault, chairman and CEO of Entergy Corporation. “For more than 100…

  • Port Houston Reports Strong April Volumes

    Port Houston had a strong April in terms of containers, handling 387,478 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) across its public terminals, a double-digit increase of 20% compared to last year. April’s gains set a new record for April container volumes at Port Houston and followed a record-setting March as well. Year-to-date volumes are 1,456,173 TEUs through…